Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:57:57 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, Xiuchao Wu <wuxiuchao@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: amd64/130483: MSI must be disabled when Myricom 10Gbps Card is used on Dell PowerEdge T300 Server

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 12:02:07 am Xiuchao Wu wrote:

> >Number:         130483
> >Category:       amd64
> >Synopsis:       MSI must be disabled when Myricom 10Gbps Card is used on
Dell PowerEdge T300 Server
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       serious
> Computer: Dell PowerEdge T300 Server
> NICs: Myricom 10G-PCIE-8AL-C
> OS: FreeBSD 7.0/7.1 Release
>
> After I rebuild the kernel (to include NIC driver "mxge") and reboot, kernel
panic occurs and the computer is automatically rebooted. After contacting
with engineers of Myricom, they suggest to disable message signaled interrupt
(MSI) in /boot/loader.conf and these NICs can work now.
> "
> hw.pci.enable_msix=0
> hw.pci.enable_msi=0
> "
>
> However, MSI is really very important for high speed data transmission. Huge
number of packets generate many interruptions. Considering that Fedora 9
works well on the same computer, it may be a bug of FreeBSD. Below is the
screen when kernel panic occurs.

> p4tcc3: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu3
> pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
> pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0
> pcib1: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 2.0 on pci0
> pci3: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1
> pcib2: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 3.0 on pci0
> pci4: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib2
> pcib3: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 4.0 on pci0
> pci5: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib3
> mxge0: <Myri10G-PCIE-8A> mem 0xd8000000-0xd8ffffff, 0xdfa00000-0xdfafffff
irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci5
> panic: nexus_add_irq: failed

How many MSI messages is mxge0 attempting to add and how many other devices in
your system are using MSI?  Getting a full copy of a verbose dmesg would be
most helpful.  'pciconf -lc' might also help answer the first question.

--
John Baldwin