Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:32:59 +0100
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@scl.ameslab.gov>
Cc:        "Bill G." <billg@cyberwar.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial Console Wierdness

Hi,

At 19:37 22/06/99 -0500, Chris Csanady wrote:
>"Bill G." wrote:
>>
>> I got a serial console working on COM2, to which I have connected
>> another FreeBSD box.  I connect with 'cu' fine, but I'm running into
>> a couple of problems which I haven't been able to find and answer
>> for.
>>
>> o  When I connect, when the machine is first turned on, I get
>>    disconnected twice during the boot up sequence (cu reports
>>    Got hangup signal) -- looks like when the sio1 device is
>>    probed, and also when getty runs.
>
>This happens when the serial chip gets reset, and the DCD line
>goes low for a moment.  [etc]

Some buggy UARTs drop control lines when the baud rate is set, even if it's
being set to the current value. There used (eons ago) to be a patch for
this (don't set the baud rate if it's already the desired value); someone
who knows the driver better than I do should check that it's not still a
problem.

--
Bob Bishop		    +44 118 977 4017
rb@gid.co.uk		fax +44 118 989 4254 (0800-1800 UK)