Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:14:57 -0700
From:      Soren Harward <soren@byu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   splitting NAT rules with ipfw?

Right now, I have my ipfw rules running every packet through natd very
close to the beginning of my firewall rules:

00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
00300 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
00400 deny log logamount 100 ip from INTERNAL to any in recv ed0
00500 deny log logamount 100 ip from EXTERNAL to any in recv xl0
00600 divert 8668 ip from any to any via ed0

(ed0: external interface)
(xl0: internal interface)

Right now, this sends almost every packet through natd.  I'd like to be
able to split the natd rules into an "outgoing from the internal
network" rule and an "incoming to the internal network" rule so that
I have something like the following:

ipfw divert natd ip from INTERNAL to any via ed0
[ INCOMING FILTERING RULES on ed0 ]

and then have incoming packets that get through the rules be passed
to natd so they can be sent to the internal network if necessary.
But the only setup I can get working is the one I already have.
Anyone have any ideas, or does the "divert natd" have to be just
one rule?

--
Soren Harward
soren@byu.edt