Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:21:41 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: distfiles no longer on 4.0 CDs

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 05:09:01PM -0500, Chris Dillon wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > That would not be a simple solution.  There are more packaging
> > problems with this than you've probably ever dealt with since we deal
> > with CD sets in terms of tens-of-thousands quantities.
> >
> > I will continue to explore going to a 6 CD set, but that also means
> > more work for me on every release so I'm in no particular hurry. :)
>
> How about using 80-minute/700MB discs?  It would only let you squeeze
> in another 50MB/disc, but that would mean an extra 200MB for the 4-CD
> set.  Apparently this is what Microsoft and many others have been
> doing for a while now.

	This may be a wee bit obvious, but how about compressing everything
	on all 4 CD's--except perhaps the *.TXT files or recompressing
	everything with bzip2?

	Seems to me that there's a more reasonable solution than going to
	5 or 6 disks...

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix