Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 16:41:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
To:        questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Exit on signal 12

On Mon, 14 Aug 1995, Don's FList drop wrote:

>   I'm running Uniboard here... or at least trying to. I think this
> component may have been compiled under 2.0 and something has changes in
> 2.0.5R that caused this break - it runs long enough to print the startup
> tag, then exits on signal 12. If I read sys/signal.h correctly, this
> indicates a bad argument to a system call.
>   I've written the author, but I know he's not primarily a FreeBSD guy -
> any ideas what system call arguments changed from 2.0 to 2.0.5? (Pardon
> if this is a stupendously stupid question)

For the benefit of anyone running Uniboard on FreeBSD:

Garrett gave me a nudge about the real meaning of this message
(Unimplemented call, not bad argument to...) and it spurred me to think
about what I know about the way the software works.

The solution was to rebuild the kernel with SysV interprocess
communication flags. (options SYSVSHM, SYSVSEM, SYSVMSG) Pizzi apparently
didn't realize they weren't enabled by default (were they in 1.1.5? I
don't have a machine running that anymore. The April 2.0 snapshot didn't
have them...)

I've encouraged Pizzi to put a README.FREEBSD in his distribution with
this little tidbit, but just in case anyone is reading here....