Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:59:28 -0500
From:      Reid Linnemann <lreid@cs.okstate.edu>
To:        Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE / Gnome / Beryl (recipe)

Written by Eduardo Viruena Silva on 06/22/07 19:05>>
> ----------------
> I have to thank to Reid Linnemann from the freebsd-questions list,
> for suggesting me compile 6.2-STABLE, and to Jose Luis Enriquez,
> for helping me to configure X.
> ----------------
>
> Hope it helps.
>

> Cheers,
>
>        Eduardo.

Glad you got it working. I'm running Beryl on my workstation with an
intel i865G. I've notice sometimes I run into shm starvation, either
causing apps like firefox to fail to run or beryl to paint windows with
empty textures. If you run in to this, try increasing the sysctl
kern.ipc.shmall. I doubled the default value of 8192 (I think this is in
bytes) to 16384 and I've not hit any more problems.

I've noticed GLX performance on the intel to be fabulous, using NVIDIA I
currently get atrocious frame rates (sub-frame-per-second) on glxgears.
I haven't tested on an ATI chip yet.