Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 22:59:46 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Brandon Fosdick" <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
Subject:   Re: Cyrus Troubles

From: "Brandon Fosdick" <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
> 4. I ran /usr/local/sbin/saslpasswd as root (since it wouldnt run as
cyrus)
> So that much works now. I can even log into my account with netscape. But
it
> doesn't show any folders (not even inbox), I can't create any folders
(with
> netscape or cyradm),

You need to create the inboxes on the IMAP server for each user with cyradm
using an administrative user as specified in /usr/local/etc/imapd.conf.

> 111 10:46pm/usr/local/lib/sasl>cyradm localhost
> Please enter your password:
> localhost> cm user.bfoz
> command failed: Permission denied

Did you create an administrator user for cyrus-imapd in your passwd file?
Did you add that admin user to the /usr/local/etc/imapd.conf:
:
# The list of userids with administrative rights.  Separate each userid
# with a space.  We recommend that administrator userids be separate from
# standard userids.  Sites using Kerberos authentication may use separate
# "admin" instances.
#
admins: cyadmin
:
:

After you do this, then you login as the administrator to create the
mailboxes.

$ cyradm -u cyadmin localhost
Please enter your password:
localhost> cm user.bfoz
localhost> sam user.bfoz cyadmin d

NOTE: always give the admin user the delete (d) rights to a mailbox so that
he can remove the mailbox when necessary.

>  and when I try to send mail to myself I have no idea where it goes.

You have no defered / error message in the sendmail log.

> I also tried all of the above with pwcheck_method:shadow in
> /usr/local/lib/sasl/Cyrus.conf. Still no good.

I believe the cyrus-imap server doesn't even use this file.

Scot