Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:06:50 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
To:        <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: postfix-1.1.11,1

JBFB> Can you shed some light on why this version of the port does not create
JBFB> the /var/spool/mail directory like postfix-1.1.9,1 did.

I don't know what /var/spool/mail is.  There is no such directory by
default in FreeBSD nor in Postfix for FreeBSD, and never was.

Mail should be delivered to /var/mail

Mail is queued by postfix in /var/spool/postfix

When you upgrade postfix from 1.1.9 to 1.1.11, it does not alter your
main.cf file, nor delete any configuration file that is altered by
you.

JBFB> # The mail_spool_directory parameter specifies the directory where
JBFB> # UNIX-style mailboxes are kept. The default setting depends on the
JBFB> # system type.
JBFB> #
JBFB> #mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
JBFB> mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail

Don't change this default if you don't know what it will do.  For
FreeBSD it has always been and should be /var/mail

Here's a nice simple main.cf for a small-office server.

--cut here--
# we don't have that much mail, so don't hash the queues so deep.
hash_queue_depth = 1
command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix
myorigin = $mydomain
mydestination = $myhostname, $mydomain
local_recipient_maps = $alias_maps unix:passwd.byname
alias_database = hash:$config_directory/aliases
alias_maps = hash:$config_directory/aliases

relay_domains = $mydestination
mynetworks = $config_directory/LocalIP

# don't bother "biff"ing people
biff = no

delay_warning_time = 4h

# don't let any joker flush our queue remotely.
smtpd_etrn_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject

# The smtp_skip_4xx_greeting parameter controls what happens when
# an SMTP server greets us with a 4XX status code. By default, Postfix
# backs off. Specify "smtp_skip_4xx_greeting = yes" to move on the
# the next mail exchanger.
#
smtp_skip_4xx_greeting = yes

# INSTALL time configs added by postfix install
readme_directory = no
sample_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
sendmail_path = /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = maildrop
manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases
mailq_path = /usr/local/bin/mailq
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
--cut here--