Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:12:17 -0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, "K.J.Koster" <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, Edward Gold <edgold@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Vinum encapsulating existing partitions (was: Sysinstall 'A'uto partitioning)

On Thursday,  9 March 2000 at 11:12:21 +1030, Mark Newton wrote:

> Another thing which would be useful is the ability to "vinum-ize" an
> existing filesystem without destroying it first.  On Solaris and
> IRIX I can do that by creating a logical volume with a single plex
> which just happens to contain the same partition as the existing
> filesystem, thereby wrapping the filesystem in the logical volume.
> I can then mount that logical volume; the entire process takes about
> two minutes.  Adding additional plexes to it to grow it or add
> redundancy is then done in the same way that'd be done for any other
> logical volume.
>
> I'm not sure that you can do that with vinum, though.  Greg and I
> talked about it about six months ago as a nice thing to have, but
> there are, of course, other priorities...

It's still on my wishlist, though I don't know if I have it on the web
page (and since I'm on the road at the moment, I can't check).  My
main concern here is that I want to maintain the device name/drive ID
independence (for those who may not know, you can take the disks of a
Vinum array out, shuffle the device IDs and reboot, and it will still
put the components together in the correct way).  The obvious way to
do that is to say "there must be a Vinum partition on this physical
drive, but the subdisk doesn't have to be on it".  That could be a
problem for existing disks.  Thoughts?

Greg