Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:33:45 +0200
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re[4]: How to keep a process from eating >n percent CPU?

>> As a matter of fact I am now using nice(1), I only wished there would be
>> a means of controlling this in a more "fine-grained" method. For one, I
>> would love it if I could impose a limit of 90% CPU on Apache, so that if
>> for example a runaway CGI script started doing weird things, admins
>> would still have a (greater) possibility to be able to log on the shell
>> and fix stuff in a proper fashion (i.e. not waiting 30 seconds for the
>> output of `ps' to appear).
>
> That's pretty odd. What are you nicing it to?

Only 1 lower for now :) I'm a little afraid of downgrading Apache's
performance while giving priority to non-interactive processes.

At second thought, it might be a nice idea to maybe give sshd2 a slight
negative nice value at startup to keep it responsive at hard times (and
giving users a login shell which renices it to normal)...

--
 Walter Hop <walter@binity.com> | +31 6 24290808 | Finger for public key