Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 23:33:02 +0000
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just a note of appreciation...

On Tue, Nov 18, 1997 at 01:52:35PM -0800, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> I just wanted to thank everybody going through and cleaning up the tree
> with the -Wformat, Wunused, and all those thingies.  I appreciate that
> sometimes it's boring.

Only sometimes? :-)

> Now if somebody wanted to dig deep into libc and fix those in there,

Well, I spent quite a lot of time last year going through libc with
an amazingly stringent set of options (*) and fixing a lot of these,
mainly in stdio and gen. The only response was a couple of (reasonably
constructive, to be fair) critical emails, so I gave up.  Since then,
I've noticed a lot more have crept in :-(

Bear in mind that this the kind of job people would avoid like the
plague even if they were being paid for it...

(*) If anyone's sufficiently masochi^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hinterested, they are

-Wall -Wbad-function-cast \
	-Wcast-align -Wcast-qual \
	-Wchar-subscripts -Wconversion \
	-Winline -Wmissing-declarations \
	-Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs \
	-Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls \
	-Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes \
	-Wwrite-strings

(snipped from a bde posting some time ago).

--
In theory, theory is better than practice.  In practice, it isn't.
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.   http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/