Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:31:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Subject:   Re: Input/output Error

Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net> wrote:
 > On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > This sounds very much like a dying HD drive.  Do you see any error
 > > messages from the kernel (on the console, or in the output from the
 > > dmesg command), mentioning something like "medium error"?  If so,
 > > then it's the disk.
 >
 >     The fact that he mentions "top" and "ps" specifically makes me
 > think "userland is out of sync with the kernel".

That was my first thought, too, but then he mentioned that
the problem only occurs after a few hours of uptime, so it
can't be a kernel/bin out-of-sync problem (which would be
there right after booting).

It definitely sounds like a hardware problem.  Could be the
disk (this is the first thing I would check), but it could
also be a problem with the controller, maybe a temperature
problem (maybe it gets too hot after a few hours).
Checking the fans is certainly not a bad idea.

As for the non-existing error messages indicating hard disk
errors -- is syslogd running at all?  Maybe it died just
like ps and top.  Try logging some stuff yourself, like
"/usr/bin/logger foo bar" -- does it end up in the messages
file?  If not, can you "echo foo bar >> /var/log/messages"?
If that causes I/O errors, too, then there's your reason.

Regards
   Oliver