Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:06:33 -0800
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Memory issues on 4.10 server

I'm having two weird memory issues that have cropped up on my 4.10
server:

1) Apache runs away and creates tons of processes and eventually takes
down the server, eating up tons of processes.  I see regular
notifications like the following:

Jan  6 07:25:09 lilbuddy /kernel: pid 16828 (httpd), uid 80: exited on
signal 6

I've taken to restarting Apache once an hour, which has curtailed the
problem for now.  But I would love to figure out why this is happening
and so far have not been able to find many clues.  The only
Apache-related thing that has changed in the last several months is
adding phpbb to the server.

2) snmpd also has had some freakouts where it eats up more and more
swap space until it no longer functions.  Restarting snmpd clears the
problem.  I'm using snmpd in conjunction with MRTG.

This phenomenon does not seem to take down the server, surprisingly.
It still functions relatively responsively.  This doesn't happen
regularly and I haven't seen it in a few days so I don't see a pattern
yet.  It is perhaps related to the Apache problem.  Its hard to say,
because when Apache freaks out, it starts to take the server down and
that affects all sorts of things.

Obviously I'm not onto the source of these issues, because my efforts
to identify that have so far been in vain.  Anyone who can give me some
advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!