Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 11:42:18 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Strange SCSI problem

Howdy,

I have built `gimp' on my system, and also have built `sane'.  Sane is a
scanner interface program that directly accesses the SCSI `uk0' device to get
data from the scanner.  Anyway, to make a long story short, when I try to use
`sane', it doesn't get any data from the scanner.  The `scsireq_enter' returns
a success status, and that there were 96 bytes read, but the buffer contains
the data that was in it when the function was called.  To experiment with
this, I used the `scsi' command:
	scsi -f /dev/uk0 -c "12 0 0 0 60 0" -i 96 "i4 i4 i4 i4 i4 i4 i4 i4"
It reports 96 bytes read, but the buffer contains all 0's, because the `scsi'
command bzero's the buffer before calling the `scsireq_enter' function.  I
have looked at the kernel code, and I can't find the problem, but I assume
that the data is not being copied into user space from kernel space.  Any
ideas?

	brian