Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 21:19:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Licia <licia@o-o.org>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it ok to use the FreeBSD name in a cyberpunkish   fictional story?

On Wed, 12 May 1999, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
> At 18:42 12-05-1999 -0500, Licia wrote:
> >
> >(smiles) I've got to get around to writing that glossary :)  c&e is slang the
> >characters use to mean 'compress and encrypt', I'll try to start a glossary
> >when I get episode 2 online, and update it with each new episode :)
>
> I have a better suggestion: Incorporate it in the story. When a slang term
> is used for the first time, find some excuse to explain to the reader what
> it means but not in an obvious way.
>
> Otherwise you are forcing the reader to interrupt the reading experience
> just to look something up in a glossary.
>
> Adam
> ---
> Want to design your own web counter?
> Get GCL 2.10 from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/

(smile) I thought of that, and I've done it before, but in this case it would
become far too artificial, because there will be a lot of terminology that
various readers might not know, and not just fictional terms.  I've had a few
readers so far, who haven't known what words like feeb (feeble minded person),
twitch (a person who tends to make you uncomfortable, hurt your brain, make
you twitch), and even a couple who needed me to explain "message archives" to
them.

So I figured the easiest way is to do a glossary :)  I'll be posting a
recommendation that people read the glossary -first-, I think :) It's going to
end up with some fairly non standard words, though I'm going to do my best to
keep it as understandable as possible while telling the same story :)

[ EMail : licia@o-o.org              ] [ Name    : Christine (Licia) Maxwell ]
[ Home  : http://www.o-o.org/~licia/ ] [ Hobbies : write, program, web, chat ]
[ BBS   : http://www.o-o.org/bbs/    ] [ Handles : Licia / LadyWolf / Sysop  ]
[ OS    : http://www.freebsd.org/    ] [ Profiled: finger profiled@o-o.org   ]