Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 13:04:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Policy on printf format specifiers?

I'd like to add a format specifier '%S' to the list of format specifiers
accepted by printf.  Well, kernel printf, anyway.

It's purpose would be to print wchar_t strings that are "NULL" terminated;
the actual output would include the embedded NULL's.  This would be true
16 bit character output.

I'd also like the wchar_t value to be 16 rather than 32 bits.  Other
than page 0 (Unicode), no other code pages in ISO-10646 have yet been
allocated.

This would affect constant ISO 8859-1 strings using the 'L' quailfier;
for example:

main()
{
	printf( "%S\n", L"Hello World");
}

I'd also like to begin discussing word order in wchar_t values; specifically,
the generation of a data value for L"Hello World" should put the 'H' in the
same byte independent of machine byte order.  This will unify the storage
encoding so that it is invariant between machines with differning byte
orders for NFS mounts of wchar_t containing data files.

I suggest network byte order (yes, I know this means byte-swapping in the
%S processing code for Intel machines).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---