Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2013 14:34:49 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        Arthur Mesh <arthurmesh@gmail.com>, secteam@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: random(4) plugin infrastructure for mulitple RNG in a modular fashion

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 12:27:36PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 11:28:58AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > * Make Yarrow an optional kernel component -- enabled by "YARROW_RNG"
> >   option.  The files sha2.c, hash.c, randomdev_soft.c and yarrow.c
..
> My kernel config files have included the following 2 lines for
> ages:
> makeoptions  NO_MODULES
> device       random
>
> If I try to build a new kernel under your scheme, will the
> build die with an error about a missing option?

You haven't given enough information to answer the question.  Your kernel
config does not have just those two lines.  Is there an "include GENERIC"
or something else above it?  What is your full kernel config?

> If the answer
> is 'no', then the yarrow adaptor should be opt-out.

There is no build issue (i.e., missing symbols).  "device random" in the
changeset is just the device (/dev/[u]random) implimentation.  The many
RNG's that provide the output.

Do you really not read UPDATING and the release notes when you upgrade to
to a .0 release?  How did you learn about other config lines I'm sure
you've changed over th years.

e.g., options GEOM_PART_*, options SCHED_ULE, options NFSCL, options
NFSD, any of the new gigE NIC's added over the past decade, removal of
device ata & device atadisk, and removal of non-locked/MPSAFE drivers are
things I can think of that you've likely added(removed) to your config
over time.  Lack of some of those would not cause a build break or config
warning, but would have resulted in a less functional kernel.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)