Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:41:31 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        Brad Chisholm <sasblc@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System crash on "vinum start"

On Monday, 27 September 1999 at 15:37:30 -0500, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
> At 01:05 PM 9/27/99 -0400, Brad Chisholm wrote:
>> Well, I believe I discovered the source of my problem.  It turns out that
>> I did not have the correct devices configured in /dev for the component
>> drives.  I had da[0-3]e, but not da[0-3]s1e.  The documentation seemed to
>> indicate that the da?s1? devices were not required, but once I made them,
>> the crashes stopped.
>
> Unless it's changed (again) you only need "/dev/da[0-3]" with no slice or
> partition.

It has changed (again).

> Not to surprising that it paniced with what appeared to be a
> "dedicated" disk (ie da0e).

It's surprising.  Good software shouldn't panic.  But this input is
valuable, because now I know where to look.

>> It's interesting that I could bring the array up using the 'start'
>> command from the vinum interactive prompt, and things would work
>> properly with the missing devices, while issuing a direct 'vinum
>> start' would cause a panic.
>
> Expected behaviour.  From vinum.8:
>
>  If no object names are specified, vinum scans the disks known to
>  the system for vinum drives and then reads in the configuration
>  as described under the read commands.  The vinum drive contains a
>  header with all information about the data stored on the drive,
>  including the names of the other drives which are required in
>  order to represent plexes and volumes.
>
> Similarly you could list only one drive for the read command in rc.conf and
> it should bring up all drives.  Emphasis on the "could" and "should" here.

I think you're misinterpreting what Brad was saying.  He was issuing
the same command, once during boot and once later.  I've had a number
of reports of this problem, but this is the first one that helps me
find the bug.

>> Thanks for providing such a useful piece of software!
>
> Most certainly is.  Could use the functionality to add to a plex's size for
> striped or RAID5, but a bit of planning cures that.  8-)

It's all in the pipeline.  But first we need Vinum on the root file
system.

Greg