Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2010 20:11:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        alexs@ulgsm.ru
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskless boot, nfs server behind router

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, alexs@ulgsm.ru wrote:

> Hi all.
>

> I tryed setup server for booting diskless hosts from different networks.
>
> In one network booting is ok.
> I see thet realtek 8139 pxe can`t load pxeboot file fromi tftp server from another
> network.
>
> By changing options in dhcp server, i resolve that pxeboot can load kernel
> from this server, but than kernel trying mount nfs root file system its
> failing.
> Later mounting from /etc/fstab is ok.
>
> Maybe im wrong? but diskless booting in several networks possible ony using
> several servers, one in each network?
>
> I think pxe rom on nic and kernel nfs root mounting can`t work on 3-layer.
>
>From a quick glance at the code, I think that the dhcp server must return
the gateway the client uses to get to the server. (ie. it must be an ip
addr on the diskless client's network for the gateway to where the server
is) It looks like this will then be used to set boot.netif.gateway to the
correct value for the kernel.

So you might want to check how your dhcpd is configured w.r.t. gateway
address?

rick