Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 2008 17:33:43 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for comments - pkg_trans

--------------enig5E857624874AAD28BC26EB3F

Marcin Wisnicki wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 06:25:27 +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
>=20
>> Hi,
>>
>> I apologize in advance if what I'm trying to do seems stupid or it has=

>> already existed since the Dawn of Time (i.e. when McKusick was in
>> diapers) but I'd like your comments on this idea:
>>
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/IvanVoras/PkgTransProposal
>=20
> Looking at your use cases I think what you are proposing is overkill.

Wow, and I was afraid I'm doing an underkill here :)

> * Install some large group of packages, like KDE or GNOME. Don't like i=
t,=20
> want to delete all packages installed during the operation.
>=20
> This could be achieved by tracking which ports were installed explicitl=
y=20
> by user. I.e. when I type:
>   (cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2; make install)
> or
>   pkg_add -r gnome2
>=20
> It will install gnome2 along with it's dependencies but in some way mar=
k=20
> gnome2 package as installed by user, say, by creating /var/db/pkg/
> gnome2-2.22/+USER_INSTALLED or even easier, by maintaing some special=20
> unremovable dummy package that would depend on all packages installed=20
> explicitly.

This has the same problems as my scheme and I'm not sure the benefits=20
are the same. With pkg_trans, we know explicitly which packages were=20
pulled in when, and the order in which they were pulled.

> * Install a newer version of postgresql, have an OMG moment and remembe=
r=20
> you need to dump the database with the old version and reaload it with =

> the new version. Revert the install by deleting the new packages and=20
> reinstalling the old ones (i.e. undo a removal).
>=20
> pkg_deinstall -R posgtresql-8.4.0; pkg_add postgresql-8.3.0

Yes, with the exception that something needs to do "pkg_create -b=20
postgresql-8.3.0" before it's removed, and I don't trust myself to=20
remember this every time :) (I want it to happen automatically)