Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 18:36:02 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, Tuc <tuc@ttsg.com>
Cc:        Ben Lovett <blovett@bsdguru.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell 8200 - NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go - XF86

On Friday 26 April 2002 05:55 pm, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

| > > This is the same problem I saw.  Use xf86cfg to get things like the
| > > keyboard and mouse right, then set the resultion to 1600x1200 in
| > > XF86Config.  Note what I say in my article that anything less than
| > > 1600x1200 resulted in the effect you're seeing now.  Check out my
| > > example XF86Config in the article if you need more guidance.
| >
| > 	Yours makes my X lock up, not even CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE works.
| >
| > > On the bright side, 1600x1200 looks awesome on my 8100.
| >
| > 	I've got it to the point where there is about a thumb width (I'm a
| > big guy) of black border.
| >
| > 	I'll deal with this if its the best I can get!
| >
| > 	So, how do I get a better window manager... TWM, YUCK!
|
| Being a FreeBSD GNOME developer, I recommend making sure your ports tree
| is up-to-date, then doing:
|
| # cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome
| # make clean
| # make install clean

There's lots to choose from.  I favor kde myself, but you install them all
the same basic way . . .

Note that installing one from packages probably won't generate optimal
results since you have a newer X.

| Once that completes, add the following to ~/.xinitrc:
|
| exec /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session
|
| And run startx.
|
| Joe
|
| > 		Tuc/TTSG Internet Services, Inc.
| >
| > > Joe

| > > --
| > > PGP Key: http://www.marcuscom.com/pgp.asc

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go