Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 21:27:16 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        drow@drow.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speaking of broken stable

>Since the problem seemed to be in libc I upgraded my libc to tonights, and
>__generic_syscall undefined itself - breaking EVERYTHING not statically
>linked.  Fortunately, ncftpd was already running, so I could ftp in a
>2.2.5-RELEASE libc.

__generic_syscall should not be defined or referenced any any version of
FreeBSD, but references to it seem to be created by inconsistent sets o
headers.  References to __generic_xxx are only supposed to be created
for certain math functions.  These are created by the GNAME() macro in
<machine/asm.h>.  GNAME() is only supposed to be used in src/lib/msun.
It is apparently being used in src/lib/libc/i386.

Bruce