Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 23:04:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I set include paths?

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Randy DuCharme wrote:

> I'm trying to build a few simple X programs but seem to have a bit of
> difficulty with my include paths. I can't figure out how to set it
> correctly.  For example...
>
> // -- foo.c ** Sample source file
>
> #include <X11/Xos.h>
> #include <x11/Xlib.h>
>
> foo.c:12: X11/Xos.h: No such file or directory
> foo.c:13: x11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory

> Now if I do a...
>
> % gcc -g -I/usr/X11R6/include -c foo.c
>
> it works.

This is the proper way to do it.  The default is pretty conservative (I
think only /usr/include and perhaps some others).  It's not a bad idea to
throw it on anyway just in case you carry your makefile somewhere else.

> Is there an environment variable I can set to change this?... I feel
> really stupid asking this, but it's driving me buggy.  Regrettably, I'm
> used to VC++, and Borland's products for DOS / Windows.  They did all of
> this stuff for me.

The GCC manual (under info) would have details, but I don't recall it
having such an option (probably for your own safety).