Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:44:11 -0700
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@supernews.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, "Vanilla I. Shu" <vanilla@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: USE_GTK and USE_GNOME

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 08:31:48PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Nope. Gnome is a developed as a component software, so the programmer is free to choose
> whether he wants to use full set of features provided by Gnome, or just a small set of it
> (for example nice widgets provided by gnomelibs). Therefore, IMHO it is just plain wrong
> to tell that any port that uses part of Gnome, no matter how small subset it is, requires
> full-blown Gnome metaport to be installed.

Well, after patching 300 and something ports, there are no ports
(outside of the ones below gnome-core) there are only a few ports which
might want to only use USE_GNOMELIBS, but that is because they only
install a single binary.  If they were to ever grow a .desktop file,
then they would be back to needing the panel (for correct directory
maintainance)...

But the bottom line on this is - whatever changes I've not landed by
this weekend are going to be removed from my tree, to become historical
points of interest.  So if you want to change the functionality, then
please have tested patches to me by Wednesday or so.  I've now been
working on this for over a year, and each time I'm read to commit
someone comes with other ideas, and no patches and grinds the entire
process to a halt.

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/