Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 23:19:43 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux collections (was: Linux devel doesn't work with glibc

> Quoth Mike Smith on Wed, 3 February:
> : "linux space"
>
> Is there a document anywhere which details the defining
> characteristics of "linux space" and its relationship to
> the bigger world?

A process running in "linux space" is treated like a Linux process; it's
expected to make Linux system calls, and its view of the filesystem is
altered such that /compat/linux is layered over the true root
filesystem.

This last is the most critical; shellscripts written for Linux *must*
run under a shell in "linux space", as otherwise they will pick up the
FreeBSD versions of things they run, as well as not find things that
are in different places on the two systems.

Take as a really simple example, 'uname'.  If the script is run in
"normal space", it'll return "FreeBSD".  If the script is running in
"linux space", it'll return "Linux".

For most applications, we want _the_latter_.