Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2013 12:25:19 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Simon <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FFMpeg and FreeBSD

On 27/06/2013 09:57, Simon wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Does anyone use the latest FFMpeg version 1.2 and FreeBSD?
>
> How did you compile it? did you run into any issues?
>
> The FFMpeg port is 6+ months behind and I feel like I'm the only one who uses
> this which would be very odd given everything uses video nowadays.

You need to look a little closer. We have three versions available in
ports -

multimedia/ffmpeg which is at 0.7.15
multimedia/ffmpeg1 which is at 1.2.1 - updated 2 days ago
multimedia/ffmpeg-devel which is an svn snapshot at 2012.10.13

You will find a lot of ports are still configured to use 0.7.15.

The main catch is the ports are designed to co-exist so ffmpeg1 has the
trailing 1 added to all the lib/cli names.

I have had no problems using ffmpeg1 with my version of blender for
several months now. It has a cmake option for lib names and then I
added include/ffmpeg1 to C/CXXFLAGS and lib/ffmpeg1 to LDFLAGS.