Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 22:55:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Sean Hamilton <sh@bel.bc.ca>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootable FreeBSD CD

 --- Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote: > At 7:12 PM -0800
12/20/02, Sean Hamilton wrote:
> >Greetings,
> >
> >How does the kernel on the FreeBSD install CD know which device to
> >mount as root? I'm assuming it hasn't got a ROOTDEVNAME config
> >option, since that would make it fairly specific to certain
> hardware.
> >
> >Mine always tries to mount fd0.
>
> You might want to check out
>      http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/freebsdtogo/
>
> It might be helpful for whatever you're trying to do...
>
> --
> Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu
> Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@freebsd.org
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih@rpi.edu

I think the quick answer is that the kernel on the install CD uses a
built in image of a memory file system to mount as root. So, the
default root device is a memory file system that can be guaranteed not
to change (and permits you to remove the CD ROM once booting is over I
think). This is probably the reason why FreeBSD needs more memory to
install as conmpared to running normally (16MB for install vs. 6MB
normally?).

I think it is MDROOT/MFS or something similar in the kernel
configuartion file. There are also man pages, but I forget the specific
terms (mdroot() maybe? definately mfs(4)).