Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 22:56:12 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Nick <nick@key.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question

(Nick, I've taken the liberty of reformatting your message with lines
wrapping at 75 characters so it fits in our standard mail reading windows)

On Sat, Jun 08, 1996 at 06:05:31PM +1000, Nick wrote:

> I have just installed FreeBSD version 2.2.6 on my home PC, after much
> trouble getting it on (I have multiple operating systems).
>
> Anyway here's my question: I installed the basic installation (Bin) files
> and data security.

It sounds like maybe you deliberately installed only a little. Was that
because you don't have much space set aside for FreeBSD or because you
installed by FTP? If so, let us know because it might restrict whether you
can follow the next lot of instructions.

> When I run it though it is just like a Unix/Linux system, and gives me a
> "$" prompt. I have visited your site much, as well as Walnut Creek Cd's
> Site, and the screen shots show a much different operating system (Like a
> combo of Win95 and MacOs8). How do i get to this operating system?, and
> not just the "$" prompt???

To get this you have to install some more stuff. The "X Window System"
is what you're after. You can install that from the ports or packages if
you've got space for it. Then it has to be configured to suit your hardware,
and then you install and set up a "window manager" (they're small) which
will give you almost any look and feel you can dream of. Take a look at
http://www.plig.org/xwinman  for some example styles to choose from.

You gave no indication of how much unix experience you have, if any, so
it's difficult to know how much you need spelled out to get you going.
If I assume you know nothing, you might hit me if you know a lot :-)
Let us know where you're coming from, how much space on the disk you've
given to FreeBSD, whether or not you have the CD or a cheap Internet
connection, and if the partition is only a few hundred meg send us the
output that you get when you type 'df' (without the quotes) at the prompt.
If you tell us exactly where you're up to, someone at freebsd-questions
can point you in the right direction from there.

Meanwhile, look through http://www.freebsd.org/newbies.html in case
there's anything else there that helps you too.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-