Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:59:06 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        nate@root.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: PCI Chnages

> From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:18:11 -0400
>
> On Thursday 22 April 2004 12:34 pm, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Well, things seem to have deteriorated slightly with Warner's recent PCI
> > changes (backing out much of the PCI power stuff).
> >
> > 1. I have both my hard disks and floppies. Thanks Warner and S=F8ren!
> >
> > 2. USB still works and recovers after a resume!
> >
> > 3. Sound is again playing too fast after resume. ICH audio is reverting
> >    to its native speed. With the PCI power stuff in there, it worked just
> >    fine. (It was nice while it lasted.) I suspect this will return when
> >    Warner gets a few rough edges off of the PCI code.
> >
> > 4. After a resume, the shared PCI interrupt stops being delivered after
> >    a LONG time interval. I've had it fail in 10 minutes, but it is more
> >    likely to die after about an hour. It always dies in under 2 hours.
> >
> > vmstat -i looks completely normal except that the count for irq 11 never
> > increases. All other interrupts and devices are fine. Is this a locking
> > problem? Should I put WITNESS back in my kernel? I can't find any sign
> > of any significant resource being exhausted. If you ignore the fact that
> > all devices on irq 11 are dead, the system continues to run just fine. X
> > is alive and the box seems completely normal. (Of course, USB, the
> > network cards,  and sound are completely gone.) System has neither SMP
> > or APIC in the kernel.
> >
> > I'd love to track this down. I have no idea how common it is,
> > either. Since most people running CURRENT are not using suspend on their
> > laptops because of various problems except to test things, this might
> > not have shown up for most people. (Or, it might be unique to the IBM
> > T30.)
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> We probably just need to reprogram the PCI link devices on resume.  Are you
> using ACPI?  The non-ACPI case I know doesn't do this yet.

I've been on vacation this weekend, so this is a bit late.

Just to clarify, this is with ACPI.

I guess I need to read up on PCI link stuff as I would expect this to be
able to cause the interrupt to fail, but I don't see why they would
cause failure that is delayed by many minutes..up to over an hour after
resume. .

Thanks for looking at this.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer