Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:42:54 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some RC2 issues

Gregory Bond wrote:
> - I have a matrox g200 card, and I get errors like this:
>        (II) Loading sub module "mga_hal"
>        (II) LoadModule: "mga_hal"
>        (WW) Warning, couldn't open module mga_hal
>        (II) UnloadModule: "mga_hal"
>        (EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal" (module does not
>        exist, 0)

I can only comment on the above since I don't use xdm.  The "mga_hal"
warning has been around for awhile so its not new in 4.7-RC2.

I have the same card and get the same warnings.  If you really want
to experiment, Matrox has some beta drivers available which contain
the mga_hal module:

	http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/files/lnx_200.cfm

I've tried them but they don't seem to make any difference in my use
of X other than making the warnings disappear.  My use of X is
minimal (no games, no fancy graphics stuff, no xdm, etc) so I can't
say I really gave it a workout.  Perhaps someone on -questions could
provide more insight on the value of mga_hal.

HTH,

Randy