Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 01:32:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        langfod@maui.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Major problem with IDE hard drive and current

Bruce Evans writes:

> >I pulled wd.c from the STABLE tree and dropped it in and things come up fine.
>
> It is probably a drive problem.  What drives do both of you have?

I suppose.  But why would these same drives not have the problem in
previous versions of FreeBSD (going back to 2.0 for me)?

You know, I recall the boot display showing the name of the hard
drives before, so I was just going to suck in the relevant output from
dmesg.  And lo:

wdreset: du->dk_status: 0x52
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <>
wd0: size unknown, using BIOS values
wd0: 406MB (832608 sectors), 826 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <>
wd1: size unknown, using BIOS values
wd1: 406MB (832608 sectors), 826 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

The drives are both Conners, but I'm not sure of the exact model
number (without resorting to opening the case ... only if you insist.)

--Morgan