Date:      Mon, 22 May 2006 00:02:56 -0400
From:      Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Python port problems

Hello,

Starting up Mailman on one machine I'm on produces the following
error message (see below). For some reason, this is not a problem
with the same version on another FreeBSD machine I'm on, both
installed from ports. I have 'mail/mailman' => 'MAIL_GID=mailman'  in
my pkgtools.conf on both machines, and a mailman user/group...

According to the Mailman list, this is actually a Python build
problem, which is why I'm posting this there (can't explain the fact
that I'm not reproducing it on the same machine, although I think I
may have accidently messed up some of the permissions in /usr on the
machine this is no longer working on)... The list suggests that the
configure arguments reference the Python executables, not the lib
directory. I'm not sure if this applies to my problem, but here is
the thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg28164.html

Any ideas?

> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 76, in ?
>     import getopt
> ImportError: No module named getopt
>
> (snip... all sorts of similar errors)

Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org