Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:16:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Periodic scripts too liberal

Some time in the recent past D J Hawkey Jr scribbled:
> On Mar 03, at 08:17 PM, David Malone wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 11:15:59AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
>> > 100.clean-disks has no allowance for excluding paths; I would not
>> > want it to clean core dumps or a.out within $(HOME) directories, for
>> > instance.
>>
>> It would be relatively easy to add a variable which gave directories
>> to skip...
>>
>> >           [SNIP]
>> >
>> > It would have bothered me greatly to wake up next week and find
>> > these listed subdirectories, or any others, missing.
>>
>> It will only delete these directories if they are empty and they
>> haven't been modified in $daily_clean_tmps_days. (You can't check if
>> they have been accesses as the previous find will have accessed them.)
>> I'm not sure how much concelation that is ;-)
>>
>> ...I'm sure it would be accepted as a patch if you submitted it.

Probably too little too late, but I've fallen behing on the mailing
lists.

IMHO, if a program is dependant on a directory existing in _/tmp_ it
should be intelligent enough to create the dir if it does not exist.
/tmp is the last place anyone should expect to be consistent.

Mind you, I do believe an exclusion list would be quite helpful.