Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:38:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Subject:   Re: PnP support for if_ed, and more...

On 06-Jun-98 Mike Smith wrote about "Re: PnP support for if_ed, and more...":
> and then work out a mechanism to scan the 'compatible device ID'
> descriptors (0x1c) and pretend that the device is one of these if the
> first pass (try for an exact match on the device ID) fails.

The code is working here. I have a few questions:

- I'm working on -stable, so someone else should take care of -current... [well
this isn't really a question :-)]

- I would like to MFC some code (mainly isa.c 1.103 -> 1.104), but I understand
that I should avoid mixing the diffs togheter. What do you suggest? Should I
reply to my own PR (i386/6792) with just the Compatible Device ID patch and
open a new PR to backport that isa.c change? The problem is that I need to
change both isa.c and pnp.c at the same time to let that MFC work, so at the
end of the game I need to change pnp.c twice.

- I used the same array for both Vendor IDs and Compatible Device IDs, like in:

static struct edpnp_ids {
        u_long vend_id;
        char *id_str;
} edpnp_ids[] = {
        { 0x1980635e, "WSC8019"},
        { 0xd680d041, "NE2000 Compatible"},
        { 0 }
};

and it works:

[...]
Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: WSC9008 [0x0890635e] Serial 0xdea47218 Comp ID: PNP80d6 [0xd680
d041]
ed1: address 00:20:18:72:a4:de, type NE2000 (16 bit)
ed1 (edpnp <NE2000 Compatible> sn 0xdea47218) at 0x280 irq 12 drq -1 flags 0x0 i
d 14
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
[...]

Should I fix/remove bogus/useless Vendor IDs from if_ed.c and sio.c?

- I still would like to remove that structure definition (edpnp_ids) from sio.c
and if_ed.c to put it into pnp.h

- talking about sio.c, I don't have anymore the SupraExpress internal modem, so
I don't know what its Compatible Device ID looks like. There are a lot of
possible definitions in devids.txt (see PNP0500 -> PNP0502, plus PNPCxxx ->
PNPDxxx). I would be glad to everyone that sends to me its pnpinfo output...

> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith

Bye, UP