Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 14:46:45 +0800
From:      "Daniel Kirkwood" <dmk@worfie.net>
To:        "Donald Burr of Borg" <dburr@borg-cube.com>, "Warner Losh" <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD Mobile" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD WaveLAN driver support IBSS (orinoco Peer-to-Peer)?

This works - I did an install of 4.2-RELEASE last night from CD... after
some fairly simple configuration hassles I had my Acer laptop working fine
on an 11Mb IBSS network, talking to two Win98 machines and a Linux
'gateway'.

To do the required setup I created a file /etc/start_if.wi0 with these
lines:

/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -n aether
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -q aether
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -s stormcloud
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -c 1
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -p 1
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -f 10
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -k xxxxx
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -e 1

'aether' is my wireless network name
'stormcloud' is my hostname (used only for diagnostics in Client Manager)
'-c 1' tells the card it may create an IBSS set if it doesn't find one to
join
'-p 1' tells the card to use infrastructure mode. it appears that with IBSS
peer-to-peer this is the right option to use.
'-f 10' specifies channel 10 (probably not necessary)
'-k xxxxx' would be my WEP key
'-e 1' enables encryption

Some of these options probably aren't necessary (probably -q) but I thought
I'd specify them just to be sure. I did have some problems but these turned
out to be my own fault... the network name is case sensitive ;)

I beleive in 4.3 the drivers now default to -p 1, so you may not need that.
In my testing the card would join an existing IBSS P2P network even if -c 1
wasn't set.

When the card has successfully joined the IBSS network the inner LED should
be steady on (not flashing) and the outer LED blinking rapidly and
intermittently (kindof like you'd expect from a NIC traffic light, although
this LED doesn't seem to indicate traffic).

My cards have version 6.06 firmware, I beleive you need at least 6.04 for
IBSS mode to work. It wasn't the driver that didn't support the mode, it was
the firmware. The documentation could perhaps do with some clarification.

Overall it was much less painful than the RedHat install ;)

Regards,

 - Daniel.