Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 11:48:57 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange problem with rwhod

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 10:37:05AM -0500, Jim Sander wrote:

> > But node7 does not update a /var/rwho/whod.node7 file.
>
>    Obviously I can't be sure, but my guess is that your /var/rwhod
> directory is not writeable by 'daemon' (the user rwhod runs under) and
> thus it can't create the file.

The permissions are correct.  The whod files for all of the other hosts
are being written properly to that directory.  The only whod file not
being updated is the one for itself.

>    A one-time solution is to create the file manually... 'cd
> /var/rwhod; touch whod.node7; chown daemon whod.node7' Of course if
> you add/remove machines a lot, this is somewhat of a drag.

I tried this.  The file never gets updated on this one host.  All of the
whod files for the other hosts are updated on the problem host and the
whod file for the problem host is updated on all of the other hosts.  It
is very strange.

Another bit of information.  I have the rmonitor port installed and I am
seeing the same behavior.  In the case of rmonitor however, there are no
status files being written.  The rmonitor program updates its display as
it gets responses from the hosts via the broadcast address (an rmonitor
daemon process is started on each host).  On node7 (the problem host) I
get information from all hosts except node7.  If I run rmonitor on any
other host, I get information on all of the hosts, including node7.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net