Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:12:55 -0800
From:      Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current Gentoo user

> > It has recently come to my attention that FreeBSD is "similar" to
> > Gentoo Linux.  I've been a Gentoo user for about 5 years and I love
> > the concept, but it feels like the project is slowing down.  I like to
> > learn/use/know one OS for server, media system, laptop, router, etc.
> > How would you compare the two OSes?
>
> We use mainly a mixture of FreeBSD and Gentoo at work.  Virtually all
> of the application software you would want to use will work on either
> system -- the exceptions being certain proprietary bits such as the very
> latest Flash or management applications for particular RAID controllers.
> The Unix environment is pretty much the same, although /bin/sh on FreeBSD
> is not bash -- that you'ld have to install from ports.  There are various
> odd differences in commands but those tend to be the more obscure bits
> as both systems comply with POSIX.2

What about skype, wengo, and vmware workstation?  Do they work on FreeBSD?

> Things you'll find different:
>
>    * Although portage was certainly inspired by ports, it is a very
>      different beast.  They fulfil much the same function, but don't
>      get frustrated when you start thinking in the portage way and
>      find that doesn't map onto ports very well.  Ports is, to
>      paraphrase Terry Pratchett, intuitively obvious once you've spent
>      enough time learning how it works.

>From what I've read, ports is much faster and generally much better
than portage.

>    * You'll find that the base FreeBSD system being separated from the
>      rest of the installed software seems odd at first.  Especially
>      when you start looking under /etc for configuration files that
>      FreeBSD puts under /usr/local/etc.  You will quickly come to
>      appreciate that it makes a huge difference in the ease and
>      manageability of maintaining the system.

Makes sense to me.

>    * I tend to find that FreeBSD comes with much better diagnostic and
>      monitoring capabilities built in -- programs like systat and gstat
>      have no direct equivalents, and things like vmstat often seem to
>      be missing from Gentoo boxes, although that is probably just an
>      oversight by the person building the system.

Does FreeBSD take the nothing-is-installed-that-I-don't-want approach
like Gentoo does?

>    * Although either OS will work in either role, Gentoo-ers seem
>      to me principally interested in developing the desktops,
>      whereas FreeBSD-ers think "network server" first of all.

Am I likely to struggle with FreeBSD on a laptop?  I booted FreeSBIE
just fine but I didn't test for sound.

I would imagine 64-bit support in FreeBSD is excellent, but what about
support of 32-bit binaries (e.g. the above listed) on a 64-bit system?

- Grant