Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:01:27 -0700
From:      Mike Lempriere <mike@vintners.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   config problem routing external IP in to local net

Hi folks -- sorry if this is the wrong list -- please let me know the
proper one if so...

I have a DSL with 5 IP addresses.
I have a FreeBSD machine set up as a gateway one of the IP addresses.
I'm using NAT.
I'm using 'ipfw'.
The gateway provides DHCP to the internal network, which is a handful of
WinXp boxes.
This stuff is all working great.
The problem is that I need one specific machine to appear on the
Internet proper with a unique IP address.
I've hunted around the web and spent a bunch of time messing with
things, and have them sort of working.
It appears that when the outside world asks for this machine, it gets
there, yay!
The trouble is that this machine cannot see it's own requests.
DNS does not work.
Traceroute works to my upstream gateway.

Doing an 'sh rc.firewall OPEN' does not fix the problem, so I don't
think it's firewall related.

I worked from:
  http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/nag/book.html (chapter 11)

I have a natd.conf with 'interface' and 'redirect_address' statements.
I have the special IP address aliased to the main external IP address.

Anyone able to help me out this?

Thanks!

--
Mike Lempriere- Home: mike@vintners.net  Phone: 206-780-2146