Date:      Mon, 03 May 2010 21:19:52 +0300
From:      Mikolaj Golub <to.my.trociny@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SUJ: fsck_ufs: Sparse journal inode

Hi,

Experimenting with journaled soft-updates on HAST I observed the error when
fscking fs on the secondary after primary "crash":

# fsck -y -t ufs /dev/hast/tank
** /dev/hast/tank

USE JOURNAL?? yes

** SU+J Recovering /dev/hast/tank
** Reading 33554384 byte journal from inode 4.
fsck_ufs: Sparse journal inode 4 (blocks = 16376, numfrags = 16383).

(The text between the parentheses is a local modification to the fsck code to
output some useful values).

So to recover I needed to run fsck and type "no" when prompted "USE
JOURNAL?". But I am looking for a way to script automatic recovering from this
situation. Currently the only way I have found is to disable journal, run
fsck, mount fs somewhere temporary, remove .sujournal, unmount, enable
journal. Is this really so complicated or may I just miss something?

BTW, I used to observe this error on every "crash" test. And "blocks" value was
always the same: 16376. So I changed journal size to 16376 * 2048 = 33538048.
It looks like after this the issue has gone.

--
Mikolaj Golub