Date:      Sun, 04 Nov 2001 18:32:55 +1100
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "Hrvoje Husic" <husic@web.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, husic@web.de
Subject:   Re: sysinstall sticks to serial on alpha

At 07:06 4/11/2001, Hrvoje Husic sent this up the stick:
>I'm trying to install FreeBSD-4.4/Alpha on an older
>Multia-System. (booting from the 2 disk as the machine has
>no cd-rom attached) The Multia has a monitor, keyboard and
>mouse
>attached to it, but after booting the kernel I get the
>message "/stand/sysinstall running as init in serial
>console" (or so) and a menu where i can select from 5
>different terminal-emulations.
>
>As I do not have a console cable I cannot use the console.
>Is there a way, I can force sysinstall to use the graphical
>console? -P or -h did not show any effect at all (-P was an
>unknown option?)
>
>Any hints, what I have to do to get sysinstall fetching the
>right console?

UDB/Multia boxen have TGA cards in them, TGA cards are not supported by the
FreeBSD console drivers.  Either put in another cards (if you have the PCI
slot in your box) like a Matrox Millennium, or cobble together a null-modem
cable and use a terminal program to run sysinstall.

Rob

--
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum: I think I think, therefore I think I am.

[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
This is random quote 291 of a collection of 1183