Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 1995 12:45:42 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: non-sio UART driver

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:

> > As I dribbled a little while ago, I need to talk to a multidrop serial bus
> >using a standard serial port.
>
> What's a multidrop serial bus?

Ok ok, so "multidrop bus" is a bit of a tautology.  I guess I should have
said 2-wire RS-485.

> >The nature of the protocol and interface mechanism for the bus tend to
> >indicate to me that I don't want to use the sio driver and hack on that,
> >but perhaps to make a copy and cut it severely down to size.
>
> If you need to do any normal serial i/o to a 16x50 then I suggest adding
> to sio.

It's not terribly "normal", in that writes to the bus are meant to be
sort-of atomic transactions.  (Being 2-wire, you go from listen to
drive by raising DTR, write your packet, and then as soon as the last
character's finished, you drop DTR again to listen for the response.)

> If there are only protocol differences, then use a line discipline.  Slip
> and ppp are good examples.

This doesn't sound unreasonable, although it wasn't clear whether you could
guarantee that you'd get a whole packet passed down to the sio driver
at once.  Going on and off the bus inside a packet isn't viable, as you
generate glitches that can throw the listener off.

> Bruce

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[