Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:34:09 -0500
From:      Daniel Rench <citric@cubicone.tmetic.com>
To:        dsh <daniel.haischt@googlemail.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: spidermonkey-1.7.0

On 8/11/11 9:39 AM, dsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I intend to create an Apache Tuscany (native) port for FreeBSD. Apache
> Tuscany uses the newly introduced JSON API which is available in
> Spidermonkey libmozjs 1.8.5 [1]. Would it be possible to upgrade the
> existing SpiderMonkey 1.7.0 port or would it make more sense to
> introduce an additional spidermonkey185 port that would exist in
> parallel?

I would rather see lang/spidermonkey upgraded to 1.8.x rather than have
multiple versioned ports. There are only a handful of ports that have
spidermonkey as a dependency, so if an upgrade breaks any of them, we
give those maintainers a heads up before committing.

> I already started creating the port descriptor files for an additional
> spidermonkey185 port but I am stuck right now at a point where the
> compiler bails out because it doesn't find a header file that would be
> found if compiling SpiderMonkey 1.8.5 standalone on FreeBSD without
> using the ports infrastructure. I would appreciate some guidance on
> the above question and on the actual port I created so far if you
> would say it does make sense to go ahead with an additional
> spidermonkey185 port instead of updating the existing one.

Do you have your port-in-progress up anywhere public?

Several weeks ago I started my own attempt at upgrading the port to
1.8.5. I just pushed this incomplete upgrade to github at
https://github.com/drench/FreeBSD-spidermonkey/tree/js185 . If you're a
github user you can fork my version and contribute from there if you like.