Date:      11 May 1998 09:14 EDT
From:      "Wyatt Nordstrom" <wyattn@nortel.ca>
To:        bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV
Cc:        bmah@california.sandia.gov, jcwells@u.washington.edu, lrios@ziplink.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Real Audio

Well, the news is good and bad. First the good. Radio signals are
bouncing through the net and off of my speakers. I am very impressed
with the sound quality. About the screetch, are you absolutely sure
that your sound card is set up correctly. The player works fine on a
5+ year old sb16 and a 33.6 modem, and the instructions which come
with realaudio are right on the money.

Now for the bad news. I see that you have indicated that you are
running 5.0. After getting your news, I went back to the real audio
site. I can't find the UNIX version 5.0. Even though  the link says
5.0, it only gives you 3.0. Are you sure that you absolutely have
realaudio 5.0?  I wrote the customer support for real audio. Here is
what they have to say.

Craig, RealNetworks Customer Service wrote:
Greetings:

Question: For Player and Player Plus, I notice that you support
Windows 95, WindowsNT, and PowerMac.  Will you ever develop this
software for other operating systems?

Answer: At this time, we do not plan on producing "native" versions of
our Player and Player Plus software for other platforms than
Windows95, Windows NT, and PowerMac.

Thank you,

Craig Liebendorfer
RealNetworks

This is terrible since their player seems to be the standard for
listening to web radio.