Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 15:29:58 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Policy on bzip2?

In <Marcel-1.46-0102194124-0b0cjo5@longacre.demon.co.uk>, Michael Searle wrote:

> It is several times slower for decompression as well, and requires a
> lot more memory than gunzip (even in low memory, low speed mode). On
> a fast machine bunzip2 decompresses at about 500K/s (or 250K/s in
> low memory mode) while gunzip gets 3500K/s, so while it would speed
> up most net installs it would slow down a CD install.

We're talking distfiles, not packages. Compared to building from
source the decompression effort is unusally neglectable, no matter
what decompression.

I would also think that using bzip2 for big binary distfiles
(linux_lib, linux_devel) makes sense since these are very big and at
least linux_lib is due to some updates and would cross my wire several
times in the near future. That way people may use the port/package
choice for choosing bzip2/gzip :-) Erich, do you copy?

I'll take the advice of this thread and will use bzip2 for the
distfiles I maintain (except rtdate :-).

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer