Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:13:28 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        karl agee <kdagee@attglobal.net>, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linking a directory to another filesystem

On Thursday 25 July 2002 11:03 pm, karl agee wrote:
| On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 15:50, Jerry McAllister wrote:

| I'm confused.
|
| Not by what you did but what I am trying to do. ;-)
|
| My /usr directory is on my / partition (linux lingo).  But I want to
| move it to my /usr partition (linux lingo again) where I have gobs of
| space and only a little is being used.

That's FreeBSD logo, too.  The quirky thing about FreeBSD is that all of it's
"partitions" are *within* Windows partitions, which FreeBSD calls "slices."

| I thought setting up the separate filesystems (partitions in linux
| lingo) would put the directories there but huh.

It does.  Something when wrong in the install, or with whatever process you
used to create them.  It is completely impossible to have a /usr partition
but to also have /usr files taking up space in the / partition.  Now, if /usr
isn't acutally *mounted* then /usr will be used as a directory rather than a
mountpoint, but if you selected it as a partition at install time it should
be automatically mounted.

This is all exactly the same as Linux or any other Unix-like operating system.

| make sense?

No . . .

| Guess I dont know how I would make sure I move /usr
| directory to the /usr filesystem (and properly soft link it)and not just
| make a new /usr directory  on the /usr directory on the / filesystem...
| %-)

You don't know how to do it because it's impossible; worse, the premise is
impossible.  /usr is /usr, and it's *either* a partition (that is, to say, a
mount point) *or* an ordinary directory.  The funny thing is, until you
actually mount something on a mount point it *is* an ordinary directory.

| -karl who throughly confusted himself

Us, too.

At this point, I strongly suggest that you follow up to this with

- The output from the "df" command, and
- The contents of your /etc/fstab file.

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org