Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:58:13 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Images in docs on their way. . .

Chaps,

That was a busy weekend.  I'm a step closer to having images work as I
want, but it's not quite there yet.

If you look at

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200009/msg00034.html

you'll see my most recent message to the DocBook mailing list, trying to
resolve a problem I'm having.  In particular:

   <mediaobject>
     <imageobject>
       <imagedata fileref="fig1">
     </imageobject>

     <textobject>
       <literallayout>
+-------+
|   A   |
+-------+
       </literallayout>
     </textobject>

     <textobject>
       <phrase>This will become the ALT text in the HTML</phrase>
     </textobject>
   </mediaobject>

is pretty much what I expect people will have to write in order to get
images in to the docs.  In your Makefile you would write:

   IMAGES= fig1.svg

and let the Makefile take care of converting the .svg file in to .eps or
.png depending on your output format.

By the way, that example is listed from a conversion I'm doing of
http://www.daemonnews.org/200001/freebsd_vm.html.  Those of you that are
concerned that supporting images means that text only browsers are left in
the dark need not fear -- ASCII art will still be able to thrive under the
new regime.

I've got some patches to doc/share/{mk,sgml} that aren't even alpha quality
yet if people want to look at them.

Depending on spare time I might get to commit all this before BSDCon.