Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:09:44 +0200
From:      Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: supporting multiple hostap instances in /etc/rc.conf

On Sunday 17 April 2011 08:09:05 Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to try and sneak in something to support multiple hostapd instances
> before 9.0-REL is branched.
>
> The problem at the moment is that there is only one hostapd instance inside
> the rc script(s).
>
> I'm not yet sure of the "right" way to do it. I was thinking of two ways:
>
> * add a HOSTAP option (like WPA/DHCP) to ifconfig, which spawns hostapd with
> the relevant flags
> * modify the rc setup to take a list of named hostapd instances, complete
> with differing config files, interfaces and flags.

Given that hostapd needs to be started with a configuration file as an
argument and not an interface like wpa_supplicant you need to add a way
to add multiple configuration files. The conf_file variable is
currently hard-coded to /etc/hostapd.conf, if you add another one like
hostapd_conf_files="" and iterate over it, that should do the trick.

But I'm not sure how to handle the pidfile, or how to name it..