Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 22:23:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Calvin M Meloon <calvin@pompano.pcola.gulf.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This changes everything

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Calvin M Meloon wrote:

> > > Ummmmmm.  Reading the copy from this website makes me think of UFOs,
> > > Area 51 and the Return Of Elvis though.  One would think that if it
>
> My knowledge of capacitors isn't the greatest, but wouldn't you be
> seriously screwed if the 'trans'-capacitor lost its charge?

Yes, you would.  The DRAM you (we, I, everyone) are using in our
systems is capacitor based.  It must be refreshed many times per
second as the capacitors lose their charge _very_ quickly.  SRAM
(Static RAM, very expensive, commonly used in our PC processor caches
and main memory of supercomputers) is transistor based and each cell
holds its state indefinately until explicitly changed or power is
lost.

I've got a good enough electrical and general technical background to
know that this is nothing but technically-clued-marketroid generated
geek-speek, much like you'd find in Star Trek (actually better than
what you find in Star Trek sometimes... Erm... Put down that crowbar..
I like Star Trek!).  Some of it just sounds too technically phony to
be for real.

I DO, however, believe these types of "memories" will be "available"
in the "forseeable future", so "plan" for them.  (Had the excessive
use of quotes in that page annoyed anyone else but me?  See fortune -m
"quotation marks around random words")

Oh, don't you like this line, too?

      * Atapi IDE and SCSI ESDI Storage Protocols are licensed from
Adaptec Corporation.

Now, since when did Adaptec own the ATAPI or SCSI protocols, and
whats this SCSI ESDI junk? :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */