Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 2015 04:56:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Telegram-cli Issues

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> The Telegram protocol and clients have a feature to shown to the sender
> when the receiver has read the message, Telegram Support calls this
> "read" status for messages and says it is an essential feature of
> Telegram.
>
> I call it a violation of the receivers privacy.

Just to go a little OT here, I once used one of those office all-in-one
systems known as OfficePower (and at least one list member here is aware
of it; hi Peter!).  Anyway, it had this annoying "feature" called "View
Ack", but at least you were warned about it, but worse, the sender was
notified that you refused to view it.

Well, me being me, I sort of viewed this as a gross violation of my
privacy, but this was the 80s after all, when marketoids and middle
managers were rampant (and I still loathe both species).

A cow-orker came to my aid, and he showed me how to edit the message to
remove the "View Ack" flag (I think I still have that script somewhere) so
that it could be read safely; thanks, MikB.

Watson never said: "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."