Date:      Tue, 1 Nov 2011 09:56:26 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Erwin Lansing <erwin@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports not mentioned in their category's Makefile

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 08:13:38 +0100
Erwin Lansing <erwin@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 08:13:14PM -0400, Eitan Adler wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Conrad J. Sabatier
> > <conrads@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I've generated a list of 57 ports that are not mentioned in the
> > > Makefiles for their respective categories.  Before I do anything
> > > more with this information (like submit patches), though, I just
> > > wanted to check to see if there's any interest in correcting this.

As I mentioned later, the actual list is really roughly half that
number, due to bad methodology I was using at first.

> > Please  send the list to ports@freebsd.org. Keep in mind that some
> > ports not listed may have been incomplete or aborted repocopies.
> > There is no need to send patches, the fix is easy enough ;)
> >
> Thanks for doing this and as you mention, this should be cleaned up as
> those ports won't be in INDEX, readme, build packages, etc.  As Eitan
> mentioned, there are several valid reasons for this, usually as a
> temporary measure though.  Those ports are also mentioned in the logs
> on pointyhat and occassionally someone from portmgr contacts the
> maintainers, but if you have some code available I'd be happy to set
> this up as a weekly reminder to maintainers.
>
> Erwin

Sure, I'd be glad to.  I just used a very simple little "quick and
dirty" script to generate the list, but if you'd like something more
elaborate, I'd be glad to expand on it.  Would you like the output to
include maintainer info, for instance?

Anything you specify, I'll try to accommodate.  Shell scripting is
sort of one of my "specialties", you might say. :-)  I'd enjoy having a
little project to work on here.  Being retired these days does have its
luxuries.  :-)

First, though, I need to verify my ports tree is truly up to date.  As
Eitan and Doug pointed out, I seem to have a bit of lingering cruft
from ports that have been removed already.  I suspect this may be due
to my method of updating the tree via cvs from my local copy of the CVS
repo.  As part of my nightly ports tree maintenance, I also rebuild all
of the README.html files, and I suspect that this is why I still have
those lingering directories that should have been deleted, i.e., the
"-P" switch (prune empty directories) has no effect because of the html
files still being there.

The script I used to generate the list simply (rather simplisticly)
looked for directories under each category that weren't listed in that
category's Makefile, hence, the erroneous results I posted earlier.

Anyway, like I said, if you have any specifics you'd like me to include
in this little project, please let me know.  I'll be getting to work on
it today.

Thanks for the interest, and for the replies, everyone.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net